Monday, November 26, 2007

Gentle words meet with a sense of humour

Proverbs 15:4 Gentle words bring life and health; Griping is discouraging.

That verse was today's devotion lesson for my girls. I'm doing a new thing with them called "A Person of Excellence...". And for the next little while we are focusing on the fact that a Person of Excellence honours and respects others. This week's feature is kind speech. (I'm using Instruction in Righteousness to help me with the scriptures and stuff --http://www.doorposts.net/instruct.asp)
It was a fun lesson this morning and we practiced saying gentle words to each other or imagining different things to say to other people. I was told that I was the "beautifullest Mommy and the bestest one."
Then comes the afternoon...I have a lady over to discuss some things about homeschooling. SuperGirl practices her manners and invites the lady in and says that it's nice to meet her.
Gentle words.

The girls play and prance around us while we talk about homeschooling, our passion for our kids and integrating life and learning and all the possibilities available to us as we walk down the road of home education. SuperGirl politely asks me for honey in her tea, makes a fuss about someting then apologizes for her attitude.
Gentle words.

My guest and I flit off the track we're suposed to be on and start swapping stories of life and dreams and Christmas traditions. We share a mutual laugh over Missie Moo's sudden appearance and announcement "I'm naked. I like it!"
I quickly dress my streaker, and settle down for more cozy conversation,gentle words and a cup of warm vanilla tea.

SuperGirl springs up from no where and says, "Mom, why is that lady fat?"
Rude words.
Rude words!
Horrifyingly, embarrassingly rude words.
If I had a button that would open my floor and swallow me whole, I would have been pressing it like a panic button to end all panics!

I quickly put away my lukewarm tea and stood up from my lopsided couch. Hauling Anne by the hand, I brought her over to our "A Person of Excellence" poster sheet.
I had her repeat Proverbs 15:4 "Gentle words bring life and health; Griping is discouraging."
SuperGirl, when you asked that question, did you bring life and health to that lady?"
SuperGirl's eyes were wide. "No." She looked down at the floor.
"What did your words cause?"
"Um...Discouragement."
"Yeah. What should we do to make it right?"

SuperGirl nodded her head with the knowledge of what to do and then promptly went back to our guest and apologized for speaking rudely. Gentle words.
As my guest accepted SuperGirl 's apologies, SuperGirl said thank you.

Gentle words.

I sank back into my seat and summoned the courage to look my guest in the eye.
With a twinkle in her eye, she tilted her head and said, "Well, I'd answer her question but we'd be here a long time!"

Ah, gentle words.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Out of the mouths of babes!

I have used a lot of doorposts curriculum in the past and loved it!

So glad you're homeschooling and that you're loving it!

Keep up the good work...

By the way, these little anecdotes would be perfect to set aside into a file folder and include in a book some day!!

Amy said...

Okay Holly..loving the way you are parenting.


But I must say..I did burst out laughing when I read this. I'm sorry.
Keep doing what you're doing..!!

Debbie said...

hmm that lady sounds like a friend worth keeping.
doing a awesome job with the responsiblitlies you have been given.
chesed's mom

Tamatha said...

oh to be a fly on the wall in your house sometimes!lol:o)