Sunday, November 11, 2007

I will not forget


In Grade seven, my friend Kelly and I were responsible for creating and presenting our school's November 11th Rememberance Day ceremony. Looking back, I remember collecting the poems and the details about previous wars that had been fought, trying to keep my voice steady as I spoke in front of the entire student body and listening to the silence echo off the walls of our huge gymnasium as we took a moment to honour the lives of the men and women who fought and still fight to defend our freedoms.

I was honoured to be chosen to take part in remembering the lives of our Canadian heroes. Today I am taking my girls down to the ceremony here in town. We've made giant poppies for them to hold as we march down the street behind the regiment. My prayer is for my children's earliest memories to be ones of gratefulness and a thankful heart for the wonderful country we live in and a respectful attitude to those who serve our country today with the gentle mix of pride and humility.


I will not forget.


In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918) Canadian Army


IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

No comments: