Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Because we all should say 'Top of the Morning To Ya!' more often

Sometimes, just for fun, I pretend I have an accent.

There are several reasons for this:
1. I want to see if anyone will seriously consider that I'm from a different country
2. I always wanted to act, but don't have the time...or the skills
3. It's fun saying "Jolly good."

I recently went into a gas station and felt that it would be nice to mix things up and practice my Scottish accent. But I wanted to pull off an accent that sounded like I'd been in North America for awhile. A gentle lilt, if you will.
And this is what happened:

"Excuse me, pump five is not filling my tank up."
The people who just finish paying look at me. I know what they are thinking, "Where did this person come from. Ireland? No...she sounds more like Braveheart. Perhaps Scotland?" They look at me with inquisitive stares.
The clerk behind the counter gestures for me to repeat myself. (Apparently my accent is a little hard to understand, maybe?)
So I repeat myself, "Pump five is empty. I noticed stalls two and three are empty too, but they have markers. I believe pump five is empty."
The people in front of me look out the window to stall five. They nod their heads. I know what they are thinking, "She's visiting from Scotland and has come to our town and the first gesture of kindness she gets from us is an empty gas station...or do they say petrol station in Scotland?"
The clerk leans against the counter. I know, I just know, he's ready to apologize for the inconvenience seeing as I'm from out of town and all.
So he says, "O.K. Thankyouverymuch. Pull around your car and try pump seven."
He says it in an Indian accent...as in a person from India who has moved over here to start a business and make a better life for their children. Someone with a REAL accent.
Sigh.
So, much for my vague attempt at being a worldly traveler who is a mysterious stranger with a can't-quite-place-it accent. I've just been upstaged by a man with a genuine accent.

Do you see what I mean about not having the skills for acting??

5 comments:

Sissy said...

That is so funny! In the little town where I grew up, hardly anyone had an accent, and so when we would travel I would totally soak it up. I love the way the British talk, and could listen to Colin Firth talk for hours upon end. Especially as Mr. Darcy.

Anonymous said...

hahaha! i love it. awesome. i practice my accents talking to myself but never managed it talking to anyone else...i always laugh and give the game away/they really do think i'm nuts...

thankyou for the ebook link on my last post! totally checking that out ;) xx

TobyLauren said...

I do that, too. I've tried to quit, but it's just so addictive.

halfpint said...

This was a good laugh. I'm with you on the Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy thing.....

Tamatha said...

haha....I have done that!lol