Thursday, October 9, 2008

True Story

When I was in kindergarten, I told my classmates that I rode a horse to school everyday.
I lived in the country, it was possible. But it wasn't true, of course. Obviously.
I just wanted to be cool like the girl with boundless energy, pretty hair clips, and the pudding pop snacks in her lunch pail.
I was questioned by her and her groupies as to why the horse wasn't standing outside waiting for me when it was time to go home.
I told them, with a straight face, "I just slap it on its bum and it knows the way home."
True story.

During show and tell a kid named Clinton stood up and bragged about the gift his Dad got him. I am from a family of four and cool gifts happened--just not as often as Clinton's did. My Dad was currently in Toronto and we were very excited about him flying home on a plane that night. So I stood up and took my turn with Show and Tell. I told the kids how my Dad was flying on a plane, and how he was in Toronto...and that he was bringing me a tricycle from Toronto.
I still remember the look on my teacher's face when I said that. It was one that was mixed with the arched eyebrow that questioned whether or not I was telling the truth or really believed it and hoped it would happen, crossed with the wide eyes of "how in the world would he fit that in his suitcase!"
True Story.

I sometimes sit by myself and laugh out loud when I'm alone. I'm thinking of what a tricycle would look like in my Dad's brown suitcase. And how a horse would determine which road to turn down in order to get to my place.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

This just makes me giggle. :>

Amy said...

oh, i love these stories. brings back so many memories. nice touch on the brown suitcase. i love that suitcase.... ahh childhood days. thanks for the laugh! remember the time i threw the unicorn out the window so you could take it to school... we thought we were outsmarting mom & dad. oh, to be young again.

Brambleberry said...

We are totally kindred spirits.

I told a friend that our principal asked me to be a 'tar tester'--testing the asphalt of the parking lot during the summer so it didn't get too hot. (I had found some sort of pen and that was the tool I was to use.)

I also wore a parka and pretended to be from somewhereScandinavia and spoke gibberish. Under the guise of being an exchange student.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how this relates, but I'm reminded of when I was in third grade and my youngest sister loved Arthur. My other sisters and I planned a suprise arthur themed party. we cut every arthur themed thing out of magazines and printed out clip art. It was a hit. But for some reason, we figured if she wasn't supposed to know about it beforehand, she should forget it after. We hid all the arthur stuff after the party, took Sarah for a walk and insisted the party never happened.

emily freeman said...

You and brambleberry grace are two of my new favorite bloggers. This story is priceless. I laughed outloud while reading. And I know you just had a baby and all, but I really hope you write often because I think I'm falling in bloglove.

Rhonda said...

Hey Holly - I've given you an award. You can check it out on my blog.

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for sharing.
Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn

from.
I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for sharing.
Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn

from.
I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!

Nadine said...

Those were great stories. It put a smile on my face. Thank you.