Sunday, May 16, 2010

The shower is still a good place to cry in

There was a time not too long ago where I walked in complete brokenness.
It was during this time that my 5 blog readers would see simple posts like "The Shower is a good place to cry in" or "I am still here but barely" or the ever classic "I need to buy a punching bag."

I was broken. Severed. Cut in half.
And I wasn't even sure why. I had just reached a point where the last straw was put on this camel's back.
It didn't help that circumstances were the perfect condition to grow my character.

You see, my husband and I felt that the Lord was leading us to leave my husband's very high paying job. So we did.

We felt that God wanted him to take a job in another city (one we used to live in and LOVED). So we did.

We felt very strongly that He wanted us to move to this town. My husband had spent the last 18 months working two weeks away from us and then home for six days. We felt the Lord really wanted us to be together and that He wanted to bring us a fresh start. So we moved.
Even though, our house had not sold.

But as we prayed, we knew that God wanted us to trust Him to sell it.
So we did.

And He provided money for both our two bedroom rental and our house mortgage.
And then my husband lost his job.

It. was. gone.

And so I would cry in the shower.
And cry in the car.
And cry in my room.

I would say, "God, I thought I heard Your voice. You promised that Your sheep hear Your voice. But God, You told us to take this job. You led us to move here and uproot our family to this town. You told us to do this and now it is all falling apart. I was obedient, I followed Your voice. You owe me."

Uh-oh.

Did I really believe that in my heart?
I did.

And that's exactly what God wanted to put His finger on in my life. Somehow I had developed this idea that "if I scratch Your back, You'll scratch mine." I did. With the King of Kings. With the Creator of the Universe. I thought I could have Him owe me.

Such silly nonsense.

I bowed my head, "Lord, I'm so full of pride that I would allow my heart to be angry with You. I created expectations that You would do certain things for me. You have only asked me to trust You--You never told me that moving here would make my life rosy, You only told us to move here and to trust You. Forgive me for putting false expectations on You. Show me what You would have me do next."

Worship Me.

Now, I know you are all thinking that I immediately started praising Jesus for all His goodness and all His attributes of faithfulness.

Nope.

I yelled and pounded a pillow with my fist and say,"I don't want to thank You for the pit that I am in. You put me here, remember? OK, wait, forgive me for blaming You. But I hate it here. Why would I ever thank You for Your goodness when this feels so not good?"

Silence.

"Ok. Thank You for loving me. Thank You for being faithful to me even when I yell at You. Thank You that Your kindness leads me to repentance. Continue to be kind to me, Father. Thank You that in the midst of this turmoil You will turn things for good and You will be glorified. Thank You...thank You...thank You."

And just like a bud on a tree blossoms, I opened up under the tender hand of God. Scales fell off my eyes and I saw something that I had forgotten.
He is faithful.

And if He asks me to follow Him then I will follow Him. The way of Christ is full of suffering. Anyone who tells you different is schlepping another gospel.

Christ asks us to follow Him. He laid down His life. He served, poured out, laid down all his ambitions and dreams to serve the Father's will. And He calls us to do the same. We're naive to think that that won't cost us something.

It will cost you everything.

But the pleasures of loving Jesus far surpass any dream, any hope, any thing I could pursue on my own and for myself. For He is lovely and worthy of all honour, glory and praise.

I love how Graham Cooke says it, "If you are frustrated right now, it's a sure sign that the real issue is your maturity...the issue with us is not frustration, it is "how much patience do I have? How much faithfulness am I displaying?" That's the real issue. If you feel frustrated, if you feel thwarted, if you feel that things are held up then you have the wrong terminology for the lifestyle that God wants to give you. God is not frustrated. He is patient. It's impossible to be frustrated if you are patient."

I can do that God. I can allow You to change my heart. To stop being frustrated and to start being patient and to allow You to produce depth of character in me.
I will submit to that...even in the shower.

[SHE SAID] I am only a little rose or autumn crocus of the plain of Sharon, or a [humble] lily of the valleys [that grows in deep and difficult places].
Song of Solomon 2:1, emphasis added by me, Amplified version


20 comments:

Teresa Dawn said...

Graet post, you're a good writer and it's wonderful to hear when people actually obey the Lord

Katie said...

You couldn't possibly know it, but I am more than certain that God gave you this word for me. This week has been an awful week, this day has been a terrible day. i'm crying all the time, forget the shower. I needed this. Thank You, Lord!

Mel said...

Thanks, It is hard and I am slowly learning... thank goodness God is patient.

Unknown said...

this is very very good. I love this.
thank you for writing this.

Nicole said...

Thank you for that, Miss Diva. Today, I needed to be reminded. I have been in that exact same place, where you think God owes you; I will probably be there again. But today, God wanted to remind me to trust and worship and praise and obey, no matter what. So thanks for the post, because He spoke those words through you!

Oh and thanks for stopping by my blog... it's nice to *meet* you! :)

Sami Jo said...

I watched a pastor on TV this morning before church and he said "If we are having a bad day, we are not being faithful."

That hit me like a ton of bricks - he said WE are in control of our thoughts and what we choose from eating, sleeping, speaking it is up to us on what we do, how we act, and if we act in faith.

So tough!

I heard this on the radio today and I'm loving it - wanted to share with ya. Thanks for this post deary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qG1ThtgguE

Deb said...

That is so lovely. I'm praying that you will continue to grow in His grace. We were without an income a few years ago and the cash always showed up from the most unexpected places but at just the right time. God is truly faithful!

Heatherly said...

WOW, today is the first day I have read your blog. What a great post to get acquainted with you. I will definitely be back.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

AMEN!!! Awesome reminder!! We all struggle in those same ways and it helps to know we're not alone!

Sissy said...

Thank you for this encouragement. I needed it.

And, I cry in the shower all the time.

Tracy said...

I believe there is something to worship healing suffering. I am experiencing that right now. Something happens on a very basic level when we worship Him. It changes us.

Thanks for being so transparent. I enjoy you so much.

Taylor said...

This was a great post, Allie. Thank you for encouraging others through your writing. :)
lumberjack's wife

Anonymous said...

This was a great post, and something that all of us need to be reminded of.

Scuba Wife Life said...

I think post speaks to so many people and really hits what a lot of us have either gone through, are going through, or are thinking. He IS faithful. I love that you point out that just because we do as He asks us that it doesn't mean that life will be perfect. We will struggle, have hardships, but in all these things He uses them to bring us closer to Him. To show us where we went wrong. To bring us back to the foot of His throne. He is faithful.
Also, I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for your super sweet comment on my Friday Follow post! You totally made my day! :)

NaomiG said...

Such a wonderful reminder, thank you for this!

Scuba Wife Life said...

I gave you two blog awards. So, check out my blog to see them! :)

Anonymous said...

I can relate, this happened to us about 15 years ago! It changed my life forever. There is a pamphlet called "Praise Changes Things" by Mrs. Charles Cowman that was the greatest help to me.The author of Streams In the Desert. I typed it out so if you are interested email me at newbydk@hotmail.com. We had four jobs in five years with five children, one a diabetic. HE IS FAITHFUL, but it is painful from our finite perspective. Karen

Unknown said...

Yes! God never promised us a life that would be all roses and rainbows. Awesome post!

Shaun and Holly said...

My favorite post you have written this year. LOVE!!!!

H.

Camie said...

Thank-you for this great post! Blessings to you !