Monday, September 7, 2009

Is there a jail for unwritten etiquette lawbreakers?

I broke code among women yesterday.
You know, the unwritten beauty,weight, tell your female comrade when she has something in her teeth code.
I broke it. Unwittingly, of course. But, still I broke it.
I saw someone at church who I hadn't seen since June. We usually attend a later church service and this week we attended the earlier one. She was there and I was so glad to see her. She looked radiant, round and ready for the maternity clothes stage of the game.
I gave her a big hug and asked her how she was feeling.
"Oh, much better," she assured me.
"Sounds like you're over the worst of it."
"Oh, I am."
"That's great. How many months are you again? Four or five?"
The colour left her face.
Uh-oh.
"I'm not pregnant."
The colour left my face.
Some serious unwritten women protocol had just been breached.
Uh-oh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me chuckle... we've all done it a time or two... yikes!

Shaun and Holly said...

Oh.My.Word. You didn't???!!! That poor girl!! ~Bet, you will never make the same mistake again now, will you.
H.

Brambleberry said...

YIKES!!

Tamatha said...

lol.....Oh Holly...:o)