Monday, May 10, 2010

Cracked,Chipped and Broken Character

holy experience

Two weeks ago, you all got to see my kitchen.
And commented on how cute it was.
Thank you.

God uses my house to talk to me. Does He do that with you?
You see, what you see on the outside was lovely wasn't it? Maybe even caused a few of you to think, "how can I make my kitchen be more..."
At least that's what I do when I'm on other people's blogs and they seem to have amazing kitchens.

But come closer. Take a look. See this stain on the counter.
Borax. Javex. Baking soda can't get rid of it.
And every time I see it on the counter, I find myself thinking about how I've stained my life with sin, and how only His blood can wash me clean.

Check out this: It's broken.
It can't fix itself.
Just like me.
I'm reminded that I need some tender, loving care to be made whole again. And I need work. But I'm in capable and skilled hands. Hands that will make all things new and not just fix me, but restore me to wholeness.

And what about over here. This cupboard...so chipped it embarrasses me.
But every time I look at it I lay down my pride and embarrassment and go straight for thankfulness. I have a cupboard. I have a house. I have a family that lives in this house.
And somehow, through all the quirks of marred character it is becoming a holy habitation.

A place where His story is told.
A place where His glory dwells.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

You just made your chips and cracks beautiful by using them to point to Him.
Isn't it crazy how God makes everything beautiful? Even...us?
This post made me think. This post was centering. Thanks.

Jill said...

What a neat object lesson on the important things in life!

Scuba Wife Life said...

I agree with JoAnn. Thank you for also putting everything into perspective for me. I know I have a tendency to dwell on things, but you have reminded me to be thankful for all things. :) Thank you. I needed this.

Rosario said...

it is so true. so often we see the panoramic picture and think is beautiful, but we never look at the small imperfections.

Staci A said...

I think if we look close enough, we can see the imperfections in anything. But sometimes, that's what makes things beautiful.

keLi said...

we've been doing some remodeling to "fix up" our house to sell, and it's AMAZING how many imperfections you can find, if that's what you're looking for.

works that way with people, too, i find...

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Think of it as "having Character" - all around.

Trish said...

We can only see part of the picture...that's what struck me while reading your post. Part of the picture that others want us to see.

We can't do anything without Him. He alone can fix the cracks and chips, which sometimes still show scars of the brokenness.

Thank you so very much for this thought provoking post...leads me to a new post idea over at my place.

Blessings.

Deb said...

That is a wonderful lesson for us. Thank you, you have a real gift.

Camie said...

This is beautiful - like you - chips, cracks and all! Blessings dear friend, I second many of your comments!

Mel said...

Wow makes me think..

Amy said...

wow, that was deep. You hit a cord with me. You write so well and I have been truly blessed by your words today.

Thanks!

~Amy

Shaun and Holly said...

Great thoughts!

Sissy said...

Lovely.

LeAnna said...

I'm reminded of this verse. "To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified." Isaiah 61:3

All of the imperfection we have, as earthy vessels, God would appoint unto them the beauty which HE sees, our righteousness in Him. Why? That he might be glorified. 'Cause that's what it's all about. Us, in our tattered, filthy rags - beaming in the radiance of the righteousness of Christ.

GOOD STUFF!

Brambleberry said...

Love this! Love, love, love.

Allison said...

I found your blog through Ann's. You are the first one I clicked on:) Thank you for helping to give me eyes to see into my heart and not the squeaky door from my 10year old 'suburb:) My kitchen looks a lot like your too......Boy, I can't wait to read more:D